Strategic planning is a standing agenda item at each committee meeting. It is necessary to be sure the committee considers the rapidly changing environment and emerging technologies.
Strategic directions for the future include:
- Identify emerging technologies and promote research that encourages innovative approaches to using these technologies.
- Identify and support the use of data analysis to improve safety, system operations, and security of our transportation systems.
- Identify and support research on ways to integrate information technologies with other technologies being developed for use on construction sites.
- Study organizational structures and relationships that best support the use of technology to better operate our transportation systems such as partnerships with the traffic management centers.
- Partner with the AASHTO Information Systems Subcommittee to maintain a tie to the State Transportation IT executives and seek ways to address their needs.
- Promote the innovative uses of information systems and data to address the critical issues in transportation.
- Partner with other TRB committees to include consideration of information system needs and data in addressing their functional areas.
- Identify the data needs of transportation executives and determine the best tools for providing assessments, decision information, and trends. There is a growing need for more timely and responsive data delivery.
- Place more emphasis on research needs of stakeholders and monitor progress of defined research activities.